Sunday, June 20

Homemade Granola Part 2

I got this recipe for homemade granola from a girl at work (except that I added the agave nectar and reduced the amount of maple syrup). She tried the recipe I had previously posted on this blog and, after remarking it "smelled good but had no taste," offered me her recipe. It wasn't quite as sweet as I'm used to with granola, but it was very tasty. The next time I make it I will probably add a little Sucanat.

3 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. raw pecans, chopped
1/2 c. raw almonds, chopped
1/2 c. raw walnuts, chopped
1/4 c. agave nectar
1/4 c. pure maple syrup
1/2 t. cinnamon, more or less to taste

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with tin foil. Do not grease.

Place oats and chopped nuts in a large bowl. Feel free to chop the nuts as coarsely or fine as you choose. Toss to combine. (Add Sucanat at this stage if you prefer your granola sweeter). Pour agave and maple syrup directly on top of the oats mixture. Stir well with a wooden spoon until all oats are moist.

Transfer mixture to prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring after 10 and 20 minutes. Watch closely to prevent burning. Let cool completely before storing in an airtight bag for up to one week.

Variations: Add raisins or other dried fruit with the chopped nuts. Think cranberries, blueberries, strawberries or mangoes.

1 comment:

  1. On the next batch I added a generous 1/4 cup Sucanat - perfect.

    ReplyDelete