Saturday, July 31

Jordan's Chocolate Shake

It's summertime and the boys love milkshakes. They complain that the smoothies I make at home just aren't the same as fast food shakes (thank goodness, haha). When my youngest wouldn't let up about a Frosty or a shake from McDonald's, I decided to try to replicate the creaminess of the fast food flavor. After I got done making this Jordan said, "Mom you need to write down the ingredients and put this on your blog, but you have to name it after me." I guess it was a hit! Of course, my version is much healthier than anything you'll find under the Golden Arches. :o)

6 dates
3 to 4 scoops chocolate protein powder (they're not all vegan - check the ingredients)
1 to 2 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder
1 to 2 heaping tablespoons Sucanat
ice cubes
Almond Milk (or other non-dairy milk)

Halve dates and remove pits. Soak in hot water for 5 to 10 minutes or until very soft. Place protein powder, cocoa powder, Sucanat and ice cubes in a blender (in that order). Drain dates and add on top of ice. Let stand for about five minutes to let ice melt slightly - this step will reduce any large chunks of ice. Add about 1/2 cup almond milk and begin blending, adding additional milk until desired consistency is reached. Blend for at least one full minute to fully pulverize the dates. Serve immediately.

Makes about 3 shakes. Increase or decrease the ingredients according to taste and the number of shakes desired. Although healthy, this is still a desert. To reduce the sugar content consider omitting the Sucanat - which is exactly what I would do if I intended for this to be a workout shake.

Note: No matter how well you blend the shake, some small pieces of dates will remain. The first time I made this my oldest son thought they were little caramel chunks. Hey, I won't tell if you won't. :~)

Random factoid: Almond milk has the lowest calorie content of the any of the non-dairy milks I have encountered and, to me, tastes closest to dairy milk. I still really like soy milk, but it's higher in calories than almond milk and the health benefits of processed soy are highly debated. Almond milk will help you get those heart-healthy omega 3's and help keep your waistline under control.

Cal 164, Fat 2, Carb 24, Protein 15

1 comment:

  1. I made this again last night. When I did, I used commercially packaged ice (I know, naughty naughty) which are smaller than the large ice cubes in my freezer. I added a few more than normal. It came out like soft ice cream or a very thick chocolate shake - this is how I will be making it from now on. :)

    ReplyDelete