Wednesday, November 17

Thai Peanut Pasta

When I was a kid, my family ate spaghetti at least twice a week and sometimes more. The result? Neither my brother or I can stand the sight or smell of spaghetti. Unfortunately, it is my oldest son's favorite dish. We came up with an agreement that I would, on occasion, make spaghetti noodles but I get to pick the sauce. This was a tasty dish that met both our desires.

1 12 oz package whole wheat thin spaghetti noodles (you can substitute rice noodles for a more authentic Thai dish - but you will need to adjust the cooking method accordingly)
1 small bunch broccoli, cut into small florets*
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. hot water
4 T. lime juice
2 T. rice vinegar
4 T. tamari or soy sauce
4 T. minced garlic (use more if you like garlic)
1/2 t. ground ginger
2 scallions, minced
1/4 head cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 c. bean sprouts
1 16 oz package extra firm tofu (not silken)

Fill a large pot 2/3 full of hot water. Bring to a boil. Add broccoli, cook for 2 minutes, then add spaghetti and boil according to package direction. Stop on the lower end of the cooking range so noodles don't become mush.

Prepare sauce while spaghetti is cooking. Combine peanut butter, hot water, lime juice, rice vinegar, tamari, garlic and ginger in a medium sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until peanut butter melts and all ingredients are combined. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. If mixture becomes too thick, add a little water. If mixture is too thin, mix a little cornstarch and cold water and pour into sauce.

When noodles and broccoli are finished cooking, drain water. Place cabbage, green onions and tofu in empty hot pot. Pour noodles and broccoli back in pot, cover securely with lid, and let stand for 2 to 3 minutes. Add sauce and toss to combine.

Serve immediately. If desired, top with crushed peanuts and garnish with cilantro or parsley and lime wedges.

Variation: If you like your Thai dishes hot, add some crushed red pepper or thai chili to the peanut sauce. The milder the better for me, but if you like the zip this will help.

*Note: I hate waste. I buy the bunches of broccoli rather than the florets because I know I will use the stalks and they won't go to waste. Once you remove the florets, use a vegetable peeler to remove the tough outer skin of the stalk. Slice the stalk thinly and cook stalk pieces the same way you would cook the florets.

Note #2: This does not reheat well. I do not recommend planning on leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment