Tuesday, December 14

Potato Carrot Steamer Pack

This is one of my first experiments with my Coolest Invention E-v-E-r (click the hyperlink for a full explanation). It was absolutely delish! It made too much food for just one lunch, but I have some leftovers for a snack a little later on. If I make it again, I will simply use one red potato instead of two. I can't wait to keep playing around with these bags!

2 small red potatoes, halved and cut into large chunks
1 handful baby carrots
1/4 t. dried Thyme
1/8 t. Real Salt
1/2 T. Earth Balance (or other non-dairy butter)
1 Ziplock Steamer Bag
1/2 c. cooked barley


Place potatoes, carrots, thyme, salt and Earth Balance in a Ziplock steamer bag. Toss to evenly distribute seasonings. Cook on high power for about five minutes, or until veggies are tender. Remove from microwave and let stand until just cool enough to handle. Shake bag gently to ensure Earth Balance and seasonings are evenly distributed. Serve over cooked barley.

Variations: I realize I am stating the obvious here, but there are many different things that can be done with this recipe by switching out the seasonings and vegetables. This dish is not particularly high in protein, so adding some beans in place of some of the barley may be good idea, or serve with a bean sauce such as the Cheesy Bean Sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment