Wednesday, January 19

The Power of a Power Breakfast

We've all heard it a million times: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eating breakfast gives a jump-start to our metabolism and helps fuel our minds for the day ahead. Breakfast for me used to consist of coffee, coffee, then another cup of coffee. I've experimented with various breakfast combinations, and my Power Breakfast, as I call it, is the one that seems to do the trick. I knew it made me feel better, but I didn't realize its full power until I passed it along.

All the research I have found supports that combining protein and fiber is the best way to stay full and help avoid mindless snacking. That being said, I suppose I should tell you about my Power Breakfast before going any further. To make my Power Breakfast, I bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil in small saucepan. Add 1/2 cup oats and cook until done (it's very runny at this point). Turn off the heat, add 1/8 c. dried cranberries, and 1 tablespoon each of wheat germ and ground flax, which will thicken the cereal substantially. Stir in a little agave nectar, top with some almond milk and you're good to go. For an occasional treat I will crush a few pecans on top.

It's just oatmeal, right? What exactly makes it a Power Breakfast? Well, for starters, it's high in fiber. You're getting 10 grams of fiber in this little bowl of cereal. It's not doing too bad in the protein arena either - it packs 12 grams of protein. From the wheat germ and and flax seed you're getting folic acid, Vitamin E, and those heart-healthy Omega-3's (plus fiber and protein). Agave nectar is a low glycemic sweetener, so it won't cause spikes in your blood sugar that can lead to cravings for other non-healthy foods.

So I noticed it was working for me. After about 2 weeks of eating it consistently for breakfast (and other lifestyle changes, too, it's not a magic potion) I have lost almost 9 pounds. I found that I was saited until lunchtime. That was good enough, but my mom then said she was trying to lose weight. I'm sort of the "nutritional expert" in our family (and I use the term lightly), so I offered her my Power Breakfast idea and gave her some ground flax seeds to try. She started eating it 2 to 3 mornings per week and has lost 5 pounds in the past 2 weeks. She also commented that she has decreased cravings for snack foods and actually feels like her body is detoxing. How wonderful is that?!?

Oh, and one other thing: it's best to grind the flax seeds right before you use them to unleash their full power. I personally am not one of those people motivated enough to pull out the coffee grinder and/or blender every morning to grind one tablespoon of flax. The alternative is to grind some ahead of time (I usually grind enough for one week) and keep it in the refrigerator. I figure grinding a week's worth and storing it is better than not using it at all. Oh, and in case you were wondering, flax seeds do absolutely nothing for you if they're not ground. Just FYI. ;o)

Try my Power Breakfast for two weeks. If you're not completely satisfied, I will fully refund the purchase price of reading this blog. (Okay, bad joke, sorry, but seriously - try it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment