Saturday, April 10

Hummus-Stuffed Mushrooms

I never really enjoyed mushrooms until I started a vegan lifestyle. Now, I find that I crave them! While at the store the other day my son and I happened across some stuffed mushrooms. I could see they were covered with shredded cheese and they looked amazing. Then it hit me: hummus would go great with mushrooms! I ran home (well, technically I drove home) and whipped these up.

1 package (8 oz) baby portabello mushrooms
1 1/2 cup garbanzo beans (or use a 12oz can)
1 T. tahini
1 T. lemon juice
1 clove garlic minced
Water

Put all ingredients except mushrooms and water in food processor. Add salt if desired. Process until well combined, adding a few tablespoons of water at a time until mixture reaches desired consistency. It may be necessary to scrape the sides several times throughout.

Remove stems from mushrooms. Wipe mushrooms with a dry paper towel to remove any dirt. Place mushrooms stem side up. Put hummus in a sandwich-sized Ziploc bag. Cut a very small corner off the bag. (You can also use a pastry bag if you have one.) Pipe as much as the hummus mixture as will fit into the stem holes of the mushroom, about one tablespoon, depending on the size of the hole left by the stem.

Note: You will use about 1/3 of the hummus. You can either make a smaller batch, reducing the amount of ingredients, or you can just save the hummus for a future snack. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment