Tuesday, April 20

Veg-a-touille

I guess I figured that ratatouille was some kind of animal dish (not sure why - maybe it was the "rat" that through me, LOL). You can imagine how happy I was when I realized it was healthy and chock full of vegetables. I was pressed for time this morning (having gone to the gym with my oldest before work), but I couldn't bear the thought of take-out for lunch for the third day in a row. Although not a traditional ratatouille (if there is such a thing), I used what I had on hand in the few available minutes this morning and was very pleased with the results.

1 can (15oz) garbanzo beans
1 can (15oz) petite diced tomatoes
1 large zucchini, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced baby portabello mushrooms
2 large handfuls baby spinach leaves, thinly sliced
4 T. powdered vegetable broth
3 T. nutritional yeast

Place all ingredients except nutritional yeast into a large saucepan with 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook until spinach becomes soft and zucchini just starts to become translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes. Do not overcook. Turn off heat and stir in nutritional yeast.

Makes 3, 1 1/2 cup servings.

Note: Ratatouille does not have a "traditional" method of preparation, as the recipes are as varied as they are numerous. Feel free to throw in any vegetables you have. It is traditionally served as a side dish or over bread or rice. By adding the beans, it makes for a substantial main course all by itself. It can still be served over brown rice, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment