Tuesday, April 20

Romaine Tacos

I was quite surprised by how well these turned out. I was a little high on my calorie count for the day so I was trying to think of something that would be flavorful, please the boys, but that wouldn't put me over the edge (calorically speaking). The boys are huge fans of tacos (but I knew the tortillas would put me over), and I recalled loving lettuce wraps I'd eaten at Chili's and PF Chang's, so I thought, "Why not have lettuce wrap tacos?" Using what I had on hand I came up with this yummy little vittle. The rice takes a long time to cook, but other than that it comes together quickly.

1 cup dry brown rice
1 small onion, diced
1 1/2 cups black beans (or bean of your choice)
1 cup petite diced tomatoes (juice drained)
3 T. taco seasoning (more or less to taste)
8 Romaine or butter lettuce leaves

Put rice in a medium sauce pan with three cups of water. Bring to a boil and cook, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until tender. Drain water from rice and return to pan.

While rice is cooking, put onion in a small skillet with 2 to 3 tablespoons of water (and a little olive oil, if desired). Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and tender. Add to drained rice along with beans, tomatoes and taco seasoning. Heat through.

Allow mixture to cool just slightly. Divide the taco mixture evenly among the lettuce leaves. Serve immediately. Makes 4 2-piece servings.

Note: I prefer the rice cooking method described above. If you have a different method of rice preparation feel free to use it instead. For faster preparation, consider making rice ahead (it will keep for a few days in the refrigerator or longer in the freezer), or as an absolute last resort, use a quick-prep commercially packaged rice.

Variations: You may also use taco shells or flour/corn tortillas (though this will increase the calories and carbs). Serve with taco toppings such as "Sour Cream," vegan cheese, fresh diced tomatoes, avocados, onions, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment